Sign Up To The Free Email Newsletter!

Want to get notified whenever we produce the latest content ? Then subscribe now to start receiving hot updates from today.

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Simple Present Tense

By : Mustafij
On : 5:10 AM
In :


Simple Present Tense : Definition: বর্তমানে কোন কাজ হয় চিরন্তন সত্য বা আভ্যাসগত কর্ম বোঝালে তাকে   Present Simple Tense বলে ।

Top of Form
 Alice and Emma ____ in India.  
 My aunt ____ in Dhaka.  
 I ___ near Bagura.  
   
 Use:  ব্যবহারঃ

1:   We use the Present Simple when something is generally true. For example,
  • The sun rises in the east.
  • People need food.
  • It snows in winter.
  • The sky isn’t green.
  • Water boils at 100°C.
  • Plants die without water.
  • Two and two make four.
2:    We need to use this tense for a situation that we think is more or less permanent.
·  Where do you live?
  • She works in a bank.
·  They love coffee.
  • She has three children.
  • I am married.
  • I don't like mushrooms.
3:   The next use is for habits or things that we do regularly.
  • Do you smoke?
  • I play tennis every Tuesday.
  • We often go to the cinema.
  • She gets up at seven o'clock every day.
  • At the weekend, we usually go to the market.
  • How often do you study English?
  • I don't travel very often.
4:     We use the Simple Present to talk about what happens in books, plays, or films:
  • The hero dies at the end of the film.
  • A young woman travels through Europe, where she meets different people, and finally falls in love.
  • In this book, an army invades Britain.
  • The main character is very pretty and works in a bookshop.
5:   We use it in the first and the zero     conditional

6:   Strangely, we can use this tense to talk about the future. When you are discussing a timetable or a fixed plan, you can use this tense. Usually, the timetable is fixed by an organisation, not by us.
  • School begins at nine tomorrow.
  • Our train leaves at eleven.
  • What time does the film start?
  • The plane doesn't arrive at seven, it arrives at seven thirty.
  • When does the class finish?
7:   We also use it to talk about the future after words like ‘ when’, ‘ until’, ‘ after’, ‘ before’, ‘as  soon as’ in a future sentence.
  • I will call you when I have time. (Not ‘will have’)
  • I won't go out until it stops raining.
  • She'll come as soon as her babysitter arrives.
  • I'm going to make dinner after I watch the news.
  • I'll give you the book before you go.
8:  We need to use this simple tense with some special verbs which we don't use in continuous tenses (stative verbs)..
  • This soup tastes great.
  • You look fabulous.
  • I think she is very pretty.
  • I am cold.
  • I promise I will help you.

9.Sentences in the present simple tense are true all the time.
  • I come from Austria.
  • I like music.
  • I have three sisters.

    Form:  গঠনঃ  
                                                 
    Positive : Subject + V1 + Extension.
    I
    like



    music.
    You
    He

    likes
    She
    It
    We

    like
    they

    Negative : Subject + don’t / doesn’t +V1 +Extension.
    I
    don’t



    like



    music.
    You
    He

    doesn’t
    She
    It
    We
    don’t
    they

    Questions : Do / Does + Sub + V1 + Extension?
    Do
    I



    like



    music?
    you

    Does
    he
    she
    it
    Do
    we
    they

    Short answers 




    Yes,
    I

    do










    No,
    I

    don’t
    you
    you
    he


    does
    he

    doesn’t
    she
    she
    it
    it
    we

    do
    we

    don’t
    they
    they


    Simple present tense with 'be'
    The verb ‘be’ is different from the other verbs in this tense. Let's look at ‘be’ first:
    Here’s the positive form:
    Positive
    Positive Short Form
    I am
    I'm
    you are
    you're
    he is
    he's
    she is
    she's
    it is
    it's
    we are
    we're
    they are
    they're

    Here's the negative form:
    Negative
    Negative short form
    I am not
    I'm not
    you are not
    you aren’t
    he is not
    he isn't
    she is not
    she isn’t
    it is not
    it isn't
    we are not
    we aren't
    they are not
    they aren't

    Here's the 'yes / no' question form:
    Yes / No Questions
    am I ?
    are you ?
    is he ?
    is she ?
    is it ?
    are we ?
    are they ?

    To make a ‘wh’ question, just put the question word at the front:
    Wh Questions
    where
    am I ?
    what
    are you ?
    why
    is he ?
    who
    is she ?
    when
    are we ?
    how
    are they ?
    Present simple tense with other verbs

    The positive is really easy. It's just the verb with an extra ‘s’ if the subject is ‘he’, ‘she’, or ‘it’. Let's take the verb ‘play’ as an example:
    Positive (of 'play')
    I play
    you play
    he plays
    she plays
    it plays
    we play
    they play
    • Don't forget the ‘s’! Even really advanced students do this!
    • For a few verbs, there is a spelling change before the ‘s’. For example, ‘study’ becomes ‘studies’..
    • There are also few verbs which are irregular in the present simple:
      1. 'have' becomes 'has'
      2. 'do' becomes 'does'
      3. 'go' becomes 'goes'

    To make the negative form, you need to use ‘do not’ (don't) or ‘ does not’ (doesn't).
    Negative (of 'play')
    I do not play.
    I don't play.
    You do not play.
    You don't play.
    He does not play.
    He doesn't play.
    She does not play.
    She doesn't play.
    It does not play.
    It doesn't play.
    We do not play.
    We don't play.
    They do not play.
    They don't play.

    How about the question form of the present simple tense?
    We use ‘do’ or ‘does’ before the subject to make the 'yes / no' question:
    Yes / No questions
    Do I play?
    Do you play?
    Does he play?
    Does she play?
    Does it play?
    Do we play?
    Do they play?
    To make a ‘wh’ question, just put the question word at the front:
    Wh Questions
    where
    do I play ?
    what
    do you play ?
    why
    does he play ?
    who
    does she play ?
    when
    do we play ?
    how
    do they play ?


    Rules for 3rd person (he / she / it)
  • If a verb ends in consonant + y, change y to i and add es.
I study English.  He studies English.
  • If a verb ends in tch, ss, x, sh or z, add es.
She watches television.
Susan misses her family.
He fixes the television.
My dad washes the car on Sundays.
  • Some verbs have irregular spellings:
I go                    he / she / it goes
I do        
           he / she / it does
I have    
           he / she / it has

Common mistakes

1)            Some students forget to add s for he/she/it.
My mother like chocolate.           
            My mother likes chocolate.
2)            Some students make the negative form incorrectly.
Tom no work here.          
            Tom doesn’t work here.
Tom isn’t work here.
Tom don’t work here.
3)            Some students forget to use Do and Does to make questions.
You like this song?            
            Do you like this song?
Is your father work here?        
      Does your father work here?   



 

    Use The Present Simple Tense:

     

     

    1:   We use the Present Simple when something is generally true. For example,
    • The sun rises in the east.
    • People need food.
    • It snows in winter.
    • The sky isn’t green.
    • Water boils at 100°C.
    • Plants die without water.
    • Two and two make four.
    2:    We need to use this tense for a situation that we think is more or less permanent.
    • Where do you live?
    • She works in a bank.
      • They love coffee.
    • She has three children.
    • I am married.
    • I don't like mushrooms.
    3:   The next use is for habits or things that we do regularly.
    • Do you smoke?
    • I play tennis every Tuesday.
    • We often go to the cinema.
    • She gets up at seven o'clock every day.
    • At the weekend, we usually go to the market.
    • How often do you study English?
    • I don't travel very often.
    4:     We use the Simple Present to talk about what happens in books, plays, or films:
    • The hero dies at the end of the film.
    • A young woman travels through Europe, where she meets different people, and finally falls in love.
    • In this book, an army invades Britain.
    • The main character is very pretty and works in a bookshop.
    5:   We use it in the first and the zero conditional.
    • If you come, I go.
    6:   Strangely, we can use this tense to talk about the future. When you are discussing a timetable or a fixed plan, you can use this tense. Usually, the timetable is fixed by an organization, not by us.
    • School begins at nine tomorrow.
    • Our train leaves at eleven.
    • What time does the film start?
    • The plane doesn't arrive at seven, it arrives at seven thirty.
    • When does the class finish?
    7:   We also use it to talk about the future after words like ‘ when’, ‘ until’, ‘ after’, ‘ before’, ‘as  soon as’ in a future sentence.
    • I will call you when I have time. (Not ‘will have’)
    • I won't go out until it stops raining.
    • She'll come as soon as her babysitter arrives.
    • I'm going to make dinner after I watch the news.
    • I'll give you the book before you go.
    8:  We need to use this simple tense with some special verbs which we don't use in continuous tenses (stative verbs).
    • This soup tastes great.
    • You look fabulous.
    • I think she is very pretty.
    • I am cold.
    • I promise I will help you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

FIFA 2014 LIVE